Search This Blog

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Total Consecration: Day 29

Reading: Luke 2: 51-52

from St. Louis du Montfort: True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary, #139

Reflection and Response:
That whole scene from Luke regarding Jesus talking amongst the elders at the temple, and Mary and Joseph freaked out realizing that He wasn't with them, resolves in a very profound way.  After Mary and Joseph meet up with Jesus and they converse about what He was doing there, it ends with them going back to Nazareth with this:
And he went down with them and came to Nazareth, and he was obedient to them; and his mother kept all these things in her heart. And Jesus increased in wisdom and in stature, and in faor with God and man.
Sure, like any rebellious pre-teen, Jesus could have stayed in the temple and decided not to go back home with His (earthly) parents. But what great love does Jesus show for His own (earthly) parents, especially His mother, by being obedient to them? ...I think that's a commandment!

So if Jesus was obedient to Mary, perhaps as a follower and imitator of Christ, I should do the same.  Mary is the epitome of surrendering one's will to the will of God because she gave birth to Jesus, His only Son. And if Jesus was totally willing to be obedient to Mary, I should do the same!

I suppose one of the blessings I enjoy is my ability to be obedient to my parents.  I've not acted out majorly rebellious ways against them, nor do I desire to.  As awkward (but common?) it is for a mid-20's fully-employed guy to be living with his parents, I'm still obedient to them out of love for them.

Can I submit my will to the will of God?  That's always a challenge, but I know I can seek Mary's help and guidance, but that would require me being obedient to her as well because she fulfills God's will in a perfectly human way.

I'm reminded of my patron saint's story.  No big deal, but Our Lady appeared to him and asked a favor of him which he ultimately fulfilled out of obedience to the Blessed Mother.  And because he listened and was obedient, by the grace of God through Mary he was blessed and Mexico thrived in spreading the Good News with a great devotion to Our Lady of Guadalupe.

St. Juan Diego, pray for us!

Ad Jesum per Mariam,
- JD