Search This Blog

Monday, June 24, 2013

Total Consecration: Day 12

Reading: John 17: 14-19

from St. Louis Du Montfort: True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary, #59

Reflection:
Sometimes I get too caught up in this world that I forget that I'm not meant for it.  It's easy to forget that I'm simply in the world, but not of it.  For Jesus Himself says that we are not of this world, just as He isn't of this world.  Yet, I still have to live in this world before moving onto where I ought to be...and that is in heaven.

The thing about this world is that the "evil one" prowls about the world seeking the ruin of souls.  He's constantly looking for someone to devour (as some of my favorite words from the psalms/Liturgy of the Hours regard that says). How then must I equip myself in order to repel this "evil one" who seeks to enslave us all?

And I love what St. Louis du Montfort says in True Devotion, #59:
...we know they will be true disciples of Jesus Christ, imitating his poverty, his humility, his contempt of the world and his love...
... They will have the two-edged sword of the Word of God in their mouths and the blood-stained standard of the Cross on their shoulders. They will carry the crucifix in their right hand and the rosary in their left, and the holy names of Jesu and Mary in their heart. The simplicity and self-sacrifice of Jesus will be reflected in their whole behavior.
Like whoa. Serious business.

I am not living in this world unarmed or ill-equipped to face its challenges.  I have been given what I need in order to reflect the light of Christ in this world.

Response:
I can be a more effective light for others in this world by simply being more like Christ. Just today, I found myself in a conversation with a coworker.  He was doing most of the talking and I was listening.  He talked about several of our other coworkers, and it felt like the conversation was going to turn into negative gossip. I did try to keep in mind the dignity and respect of those he spoke about so that, if need be, I would have to turn the conversation around.  Luckily, I didn't have to do much.

I can be more Christ-like by not condemning people for their lackings and being the example or proactive participant on how to lift people up instead of taking them down.  On a daily basis, with pressure and stress running high on my engineering team, the temptation to blame others or speak ill of others is ever present. But, I can put a stop to that if the situation arises.  Not out of a "holier-than-thou" motivation...but...out of love.  A Christ-like love.

Ad Jesum per Mariam,
- JD