Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Total Consecration: Day 14

Reading: Romans 7: 4-6

from St. Louis du Montfort: True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary, #68

Reflection:
I suppose today's reading is timely because it reminds me that Christ's fulfillment of the old law, we are now united in Him through His Body. And then most of all, this sticks out to me:
While we were living in the flesh, our sinful passions, aroused by the law, were at work in our members to bear fruit for death.
It's timely because of the current events, both local and national.  Does the law, which in my case the state and federal, arouse a sense of "living in the flesh" that St. Paul warns against multiple times in his letters?  These sinful passions...they don't ultimately unite me to Christ and hence cannot bear the fruit of eternal life.  I desire freedom from these things that keep me away from Christ so that I can be united to Him more perfectly.

Sure, the world will always provide temptations for me to compromise my union with Christ.  And it may come in seductive forms that ultimately cloud the path towards Christ.  But I must stay on the narrow path in not becoming a slave for the world, but a slave for Christ.

Response:
I need to take a careful examination of my sins.  I've already been doing so...and I even realized how I am attached to a particular one that I didn't realize before.  But that shouldn't detract me from the other sins I struggle with.  These, too, must be set aside.

Ad Jesum per Mariam,
- JD