Search This Blog

Saturday, July 21, 2012

G.K.


One does not simply have GK Swag.
I just finished G.K. Chesterton's Orthodoxy this past week. For those of you who don't know, Chesterton was an English writer and philosopher at the turn of the 20th century. Catholic. And he wore his apologetics hat very well, if you conclude that he wears hats at all.

What prompted me to read Orthodoxy was a quick browse through the Kindle store and noticing that some of Chesterton's works were free. So I thought, "oh why not! It's free anyway!" Boom. Downloaded.

But you see, I wasn't quite prepared to handle reading Chesterton just yet. Up until then, to me he was just a popular name that came up every now and then when I hear Catholics quoting Catholics. No big deal. I started reading Orthodoxy without really knowing who Chesterton was. And to my asking and receiving, Orthodoxy is essentially his arguments as to why he converted and why orthodoxy is necessary.

Man. He's an intelligent fellow. To be honest, it was a little difficult to follow with what he was saying throughout the book because he writes with English wit, paradoxes and referenced a bunch of other writers and philosophers that I'm unfamiliar with.

I will say though, he does offer a different type of perspective on Catholic orthodoxy. He, like, compares the philosophy of orthodoxy to other philosophies to show the fallacies or shortcomings of non-Christian ideals. And he says everything with that English wit. Awesome.

I'm probably going to read this book again down the line when I've matured a bit more in the Catholic faith.

Mmm. Orthodoxy.
- JD