Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Total Consecration 2014: Day 25

Uhh, I don't think she would say "Let it be"
Reading:
John 2: 1-11

from Pope St. John Paul II:
Redemptoris Mater, 21

Reflection:
I'm a fan of The Beatles. They have catchy classic songs, what can I say? One of their popular songs is Let It Be. The first verse of that song goes something like:
When I find myself in times of trouble
Mother Mary comes to me
Speaking words of wisdom, let it be
And in my hour of darkness
She is standing right in front of me
Speaking words of wisdom, let it be
Let it be, let it be
Let it be, let it be
Whisper words of wisdom, let it be
But as we read in the Gospels, there's some truth to these Beatle'd words. At the Wedding at Cana, I'm certain they were partyin' it up since Jewish weddings must be that intense because they ran out of wine. You cannot keep partyin' and stay festive for such a joyous occasion if there's no more liquid courage. In all seriousness, I remember reading somewhere that it is quite significant and problematic to not have enough wine for a wedding party in the Jewish tradition. I forget what that was, but certainly it is a problem. Conveniently, Mary and Jesus were in attendance of this particular wedding party that had no mo' pinot. And what happens? Mary points out that they've run out of wine, Jesus kind of curiously asks what He should do about it and then Mary tells the disciples to "Do whatever He tells you."  So Jesus tells them to fill large jars with water that He then turned into wine! Party on! Excellent!

So then Let It Be comes to mind. The very real struggle of not having any wine left is a problem. A time of trouble, if you will. And Mother Mary is there, you see. Speaking words of intercession--not "let it be", but rather, "Do whatever he tells you."

For me, this is just so indicative of how Mary loves us and loves Jesus. As Pope St. John Paul II puts it,
Mary places herself between her Son and mankind in the reality of their wants, needs and sufferings. 
I remember a time when I was having a really, really stressful time at work. This was several years ago before I took up any hardcore devotions to Mary apart from the occasional Rosary. For whatever reason, I had the idea in my head to ask for her help and yeah, in my mind's eye, she really did come to me. She didn't say anything, but simply offered a comforting embrace and literally pointed to Jesus. I felt better and more at peace after that. Sorry though, Our Lady of the Cubicle is currently a private revelation.

Ever since then, I've come to acknowledge that she really does intercede and pray for me. I'm not great at totally holding that notion in my own heart, but it's always comforting to know when I remind myself of that.

Response:
I'll continue to remind myself and cultivate that awareness that she is praying for me and not be afraid to ask for her intercession, especially during my times of trouble.

Totus tuus,
- JD