Search This Blog

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Books I've Read So Far

Ever since the end of college, I've collected and started reading many Catholic books.

Here's some that I've read so far:

Theology of the Body for Beginners by Christopher West
This book and other similar beginner resources for the Theology of the Body (TOB) was my "great discovery" at the end of college.  I didn't realize Blessed Pope John Paul II had reflected on the meaning of man and woman created in the likeness and image of God.  Obviously, a lot flows from that.  And by immersing myself in the Theology of the Body, I can see the world through a different lens.  This is worth other blog posts.

The Way Of Mary by Mary Ford-Grabowsky
This was given to me as a gift for Christmas.  I like this book because it walks you through the major events of Mary's life as revealed in Scripture and offers reflections and quotes for each event.  It offered great insight on the life of Mary in her footsteps towards God.

Unplanned by Abby Johnson
I've sort of blogged about this before in my other blog, but this book is about a former Planned Parenthood director's conversion from pro-choice to pro-life.  Abby's story touches me in a unique way because I was in college a few miles away from everything described in the book.  And I almost participated in the 40 Days for Life campaign where she left Planned Parenthood.  This book is great in that it offers a personal look on both perspectives on the abortion issue.  Though Abby's life went unplanned, she made the right choice.

Theology of His Body by Jason Evert
As a group of guys in the youth group, we went through this book together.  It's sort of like a teen version of some of the stuff I've read from Christopher West but focusing more on what true masculinity is.  This was great because it offered other insights at a basic level, and it was cool having round table discussions with the other guys about what we read.


Be A Man by Fr. Larry Richards
I went to go hear him speak at a Catholic radio event last summer, and the man is unafraid to knock Catholicism into you.  And his book is no different.  I love how Fr. Larry Richards offers stories of his personal life throughout the book as an example of what it means to be a man created in God's image and following God.  It's not quite TOB, but heavily emphasizes the spiritual aspects of being a man for God.  I felt like my butt got kicked after finishing this book.

How To Find Your Soulmate Without Losing Your Soul by Jason & Crystalina Evert
While this book is written for women, I decided to read it anyway just to get a better idea of things to consider, lol.  Though I wasn't able to relate to most of the book, it was still beneficial.  I think, after reading it, I have better idea of what type of guy I'm not supposed to be and to be more considerate of how the female mind/heart/body/soul works.

The Good News About Sex & Marriage by Christopher West
The idea of "chastity within marriage" is probably a foreign idea for most, but after learning more about TOB, it makes more sense.  Christopher West explains TOB as it relates to marriage and defends Catholic teaching on issues such regarding sex like contraception and sterilization.  It's useful in that it is in question/answer format, so it's a great to have as a reference.  A recommended read for anyone pursuing TOB and wanting to know more about what the Catholic Church teaches regarding sex and marriage.

The Secret of the Rosary by St. Louis du Montfort
After hearing excerpts through some of the guys in the youth group, I finally sat down and read it after obtaining a copy.  St. Louis du Montfort beautifully explains the Rosary and the awesome power of Our Lady's intercession.  This book is a great way to appreciate the Rosary more.

Anyway, I'm in the middle of a few others, but that's another blog post.

Faith. Hope. Charity. Bookin' it.
- JR